“As EU member states prepare to submit their revised National Energy and Climate Plans (NECPs) to the European Commission on 30 June, they must pay greater attention to energy efficiency”, writes Monica Frassoni from the European Alliance to Save Energy (EU-ASE) in an opinion for EURACTIV. She reminds that a first important milestone is the presentation of the revised NECPs to bring the plans in line with the new targets (Energy Efficiency Directive, etc.).
National Energy and Climate Plans are the focus of the LIFE #NECPlatform project for the coming 2 years, that will support six EU Member States in setting up and managing permanent multi-level Climate and Energy Dialogue Platforms. These dialogues will help foster vertical and horizontal integration of energy and climate policies.
Willing to learn more?
Join our collaborative #eusew2023 policy conference on June 22, 16h-17h30, in Brussels and online! Co-organised with CAPACities, LIFE TOGETHERFOR1.5, DG ENERGY and the European Committee of the Regions.
“Climate Neutrality needs concerted action: why is multi-level governance the solution?”
Local and regional authorities have the potential of becoming a real driving force of the European energy transition. However, this still needs to be clearly reflected at the national level. The upcoming review of NECPs could be a chance for Member States to improve their processes and use a multi-level governance approach. This session will focus on the imperative to embed local authorities and stakeholders in the update of these strategic plans and will share the different multi-level dialogue practices implemented in some of the EU Member States.
Moderated by Frédéric Boyer, and with:
– Paula Abreu Marques from DG Energy, Head of Unit Inter-institutional, Policy Coordination and Planning (ENER.A.1), European Commission
– Iva Petrova, Deputy Minister of Energy from Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Bulgaria
– Åsa Minoz, Innovation Strategist, RISE Research Institute of Sweden, Viable Cities programme
– Andries Gryffroy, member of the Flemish Parliament and member of the European Committee of the Regions
– Josko Klisovic, president of the Assembly, city of Zagreb and member of the European Committee of the Regions
– João Correia Bernardo, Director General of the Portuguese Directorate-General for Energy and Geology, responsible for the NECP
#LIFEprogramme #LIFEproject #NECPs